Getting Married in La Mesa, CA

Getting married in La Mesa?  As with any wedding the hardest part is getting started.  The key is to start early. 

How to  Get a Marriage License

The first step is to apply for a Marriage License, and to do that both parties must apply in person.  There are 3 locations:

  • San Diego – 1600 Pacific Hwy #273  San Diego 92101
  • San Marcos – 141 E. Carmel St  San Marcos 92078
  • El Cajon – 200 Magnolia Ave El Cajon 92020

You must call to make an appointment (619) 237-0502.  They do not accept walk-ins.  Office hours are Mon – Fri 8am – 5pm

Bring a valid form of identification to show your age.  It is recommended that you also bring a copy of your birth certificate. 

You must be at least 18 years old and NOT be married to another person.  However, if you are under 18 years old there is a court procedure that must be followed at the Juvenile Court (2851 Meadowlark Dr San Diego, CA 92123 (858) 624-1600.  Once that process is complete you can head down to the County Clerks office to get your Marriage license.

The Marriage License

Once received the license is valid for 90 days. 

The cost is $70 for a regular license

Confidential Marriage License

If for some reason you would like to keep your license private, San Diego County will allow you to obtain a Confidential Marriage License.  This license will cost $89.  To obtain this the couple must go together to the County Clerk’s Office and:

  • Make a written oath that they have been living together
  • The marriage ceremony must be performed in San Diego County
  • Each person must be at least 18 years old

Where can the ceremony be held?

Your San Diego marriage license is valid any where in the State of California.  Once you have the license you can be married any where or you may elect to have a Civil Ceremony at the County Clerk’s office for a fee of an additional $80.

 Who can perform your wedding ceremony?

An ordained minister, a marriage commissioner or any other person authorized by law can perform the ceremony.  If it is your desire to have a friend or family member perform the ceremony they can do so by becoming a Deputy Marriage Commissioner for a day.   To do that they must fill out a application and pay a $50 fee. 

Points to remember:

  • A blood test is not required in California.
  • Your marriage license will expire in 90 days.
  • You do not need to live in San Diego to get married license here.
  • The Clerk’s office will not accept credit cards.  Bring cash, check, money order or a debit card (with an additional fee)
  • You must return the signed license after the ceremony to the County Clerk’s office to be recorded.  You can obtain a certificate two weeks later for $14.

To get more information go to the San Diego Marriage License

Wedding Venues in La Mesa, CA

Mt Helix Park Foundation - go to the website and download the Wedding Packages available and for additional questions you can call the office at (619) 741-4363.

Arbor View Room - located in MacArthur Park  located at 4975 Memorial Drive.  Contact the facilities specialist at 619.667.1307

Nan Couts Cottage - located at 5045 Memorial Drive.  Contact our facilities specialist at 619.667.1307

Performing Arts Room - located in MacArthur Park at 4975 Memorial Drive.  Contact our facilities specialist at 619.667.1307

Anthony's Fish Grotto - located at 9530 Murray Dr.  Call  619-463-0368 for more information

The American Legion - located at 8118 University Ave.  Contact our Business Manager, Lenny, who can be reached by phoning (619) 469-6064

La Mesa Women's Club - located 5220 Wilson St.  Here is a Virtual Tour of their clubhouse, and you can get more information by calling 619-466-4362.


Congratulations on your engagement!  I hope that this guide has provided you a good place to get start planning your special day.  With a little due diligence, you’ll be able to plan your dream La Mesa wedding!